This salad can be served cold or at room temperature and can be kept in the fridge for several days. It is not only delicious but also satisfies the appetite. Top it with pan fried/grilled organic tofu or wild salmon to make it a complete meal.
Tip: Although the wild or red rice has to be cooked separately, the brown rice can be cooked together with the lentils as suggested below.
½ cup red or wild rice (see below)
½ cup brown or sprouted rice (see below)
1 cup flat brown lentils
3 cloves minced garlic (optional)
1 small red onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large yam peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
1 tsp paprika or chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup craisins or raisins
1/3 cup or handful of chopped walnuts (can be roasted to bring out flavour in 300F degree oven for 6mins)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2-3 Tbs balsamic vinegar or lemon juice (or both, if preferred)
1. Cook the red or brown rice according to package directions and set aside (1 part rice to 2 parts water and ½ tsp salt. Bring water,salt and rice to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 40mins or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with fork and set aside)
2. Measure 3 cups water and place on high heat in medium sized pot. Wash lentils and add into pot. Add brown rice and 1tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until water is absorbed and both rice and lentils are cooked. Set aside to cool.
3. Drizzle some olive oil into medium pan (preferably with lid) on med high heat. Add cumin, garlic and onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add yams and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add turmeric, 1/2 tsp salt, paprika. Increase heat if needed and sauté until yams are nicely coated with the spices but not overcooked. Remove from heat.
4. In large mixing bowl, add cooked rice and lentils, , walnuts, craisins, yams and chopped cilantro.
5. Stir together olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice in small bowl. Add to the salad and mix everything thoroughly. Add more seasoning and/or balsamic vinegar according to taste.
6. *The rice and lentils can be cooked a day ahead and kept overnight in fridge