1 sweet potato/yam
1 small apple
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
100 gm pearl barley
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp honey
1 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
1. Bake the sweet potatoes in an oven on 350 F for 25 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic until light brown.
3. Add the barley and 325 ml boiling water. Simmer uncovered for till barley absorbs the water. Keep it aside to cool.
4. Cut sweet potato and apple into small pieces and add to the cooled barley.
5. Mix lemon juice, honey, and balsamic vinaigrette and pour over barley.
6. Top with mixed greens.
7. Serve chilled.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cups milk
5 slices of bread
1/8 cup semi-sweet chocolate
5 oz frozen strawberries in light syrup, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
4. Add eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract and salt; mix gently. Stir in milk, mixing lightly.
5. Cube bread slices. Add the bread cubes and chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes.
6. Pour mixture into the baking dish.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until done. Let stand 8-10 minutes.
8. Blend strawberries with their syrup in a blender.
9. Strain the mixture to remove seeds.
10.Serve pudding into dessert bowls or glasses, garnish with strawberry sauce.
2 cups Rolled oats
1 cup Spelt or other flour of choice
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 tsp Baking soda
¼ cup Hemp hearts
2 Large free range eggs
¼ cup Maple syrup
1 cup Mashed bananas (two medium bananas)
2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Buttermilk
¼ cup Coconut oil melted
1 cup Blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F and prepare muffin pan (with liners or spray)
2. Combine dry ingredients, including hemp hearts, in medium bowl
3. Combine wet ingredients in large mixing bowl
4. Add dry ingredients into bowl with wet ingredients. Stir with spatula until combined. Do not overmix
5. Gently fold in blueberries
6. Scoop into muffin tins
7. Bake for 30 minutes
8. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan
Variation: Replace mashed bananas and blueberries, with applesauce and raisins (but only 1/2 cup raisins)
Credits – globalvegetarian.ca
2 medium onions
3 medium tomatoes
½ inch ginger
5-6 garlic cloves
Whole spices for kadhai masala:
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 inch cinnamon/dalchini
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 green cardamoms
4-5 black pepper corns
2-3 dry whole red chilies
For preparing gravy:
3 tbsp oil
1 Bay leaf
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder
250 grams mushrooms, sliced
1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup water
1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves, crushed
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
½ inch ginger
2 tbsp cream
Salt to taste
Preparing kadhai masala:
1. Heat a pan or kadhai . Take all the whole spices mentioned under the “whole spices for kadhai masala’ in the pan.
2. Dry roast all the whole spices on a low flame till they become aromatic, keep stirring.
3. Grind the roasted spices in a mixer.
Preparing onion and tomato paste:
1. Grind onions to a smooth paste, keep aside.
2. Grind tomatoes, ginger and garlic, keep aside.
Preparing the kadhai gravy:
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadhai or wok. Add bay leaf and saute for a few seconds.
2. Add onion paste. saute stirring regularly, till the onion paste becomes golden.
3. Add the tomato paste and saute till oil leaves the mixture.
4. Add turmeric powder and red chili powder, then add mushrooms.
5. Coat the mushrooms with the mixture and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium flame.
6. Add the ground kadhai masala along with salt.
7. Add water.
8. Cover the kadhai or pan with a lid and simmer on a low to medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes.
9. Add thinly sliced bell pepper and simmer till it is half cooked.
10. Add 1 tsp kasuri methi.
11. Add chopped coriander leaves and ½ tsp ginger julienne.
12. Stir and serve hot with roti or rice.
4-5 Karelas (Bitter gourds)
1 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
2 tsp olive or sunflower oil
2 onions, sliced
1 tsp Dry mango powder
Salt to taste
1. Lightly scrape the skin of the bitter gourds. Keep the scrapings aside.
2. Slit on one side and remove the seeds.
3. Cut bitter gourds into thin slices.
4. Wash and rub salt all over the bitter gourds and the scrapings.
5. Set aside for 3-4 hours.
6. Wash completely again and squeeze dry the karelas.
7. Deep fry the bitter gourds till brown and crisp.
8. Take off the bitter gourds and keep aside.
9. Heat up 2 tbsp oil and stir fry the onions till light brown
10.Mix in scrapings of bitter gourd and let it stir fry till onions are golden brown.
11.Mix in turmeric powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder and red chili powder.
12.Mix in the fried bitter gourds to the above mixture and stir fry covered on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
13.Serve hot with roti or naan.