1 cup cubed potato pieces
1/2 cup Brown lentils
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 inch piece of cinnamon
1/2 inch piece of ginger
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cilantro or parsley (for garnish)
Oil of choice
1. Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add chopped onion, ginger, cinnamon and bay leaf. Fry till onions are translucent.
2. Add lentils and 2 cups of water. Boil covered for 15 minutes.
3. Add potato, salt, and pepper. Boil for another 15 minutes.
4. Simmer the soup for another 15 minutes, covered.
5. Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
6. Serve hot with croutons or garlic bread.