6 oz spaghetti
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain well, keep aside.
2. Combine avocados, basil, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor, add salt and pepper.
3. Add olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified.
4. Combine pasta, avocado sauce, cherry tomatoes and corn.
5. Serve hot
1 Tbsp coconut olive oil
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1/2 green bell pepper
1 small tomato
1 Tbsp curry powder
2 cans coconut milk
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a pan.
2. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, carrot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook till soft.
3. Add curry powder, water, coconut milk and adjust salt and pepper.
4. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes.
6. Cook for 2-3 more minutes and serve hot with Rice or Roti.
800g pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 1.5cm cubes
Spray olive oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
190g (1 cup) quinoa, rinsed, drained
100g trimmed kale leaves, shredded
40g (1/4 cup) pepitas
1. Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the pumpkin on prepared tray, spray with olive oil. Roast for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden and tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander and turmeric, cook stirring for 1 minute.
3. Add quinoa and 500ml (2 cups) water, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until water has evaporated and quinoa is al dente. Stir through kale until just wilted, then gently stir through the roasted pumpkin, pepitas and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
10-12 baby eggplants
Ghee or oil of choice
Pinch of asafoetida
1.5” cinnamon stick
4 green cardamom
3 medium tomatoes
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp dried ginger powder
1 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp tamarind paste or 1 tsp dry mango powder
1 cup water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp chopped coriander and thin strips of fresh ginger for garnish
1. Fry chopped onions in oil of choice until light brouwn. Blend onions in a food processor to make a thick paste, adding a little water, if needed.
2. Slit eggplants lengthwise, without removing the stem, and fry them in a pan for 3-4 minutes. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom. Add tomatoes and fry on medium heat till soft.
4. Add the onion paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add coriander, chilli, turmeric, fennel, and ginger powders and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add water, bring to a boil and add the tamarind paste or dry mango powder.
6. Simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
7. Add eggplants and continue to simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
8. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and ginger and serve hot with rice or roti.
3 cups whole Black Urad
1 cup Rajma (Kidney beans)
1 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
2-3 green chillies
Salt to taste
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin
A pinch of asafoetida powder
Half tsp methi (fenugreek) seeds
Puree of three tomatoes
2 tbsp butter
half tbsp cream
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp garam masala
Soak Urad, Rajma, and Chana dal in water overnight.
Chop ginger and green chillies.
Boil lentils with the ginger, garlic, green chillies and salt, and simmer until lentils are well cooked. Drain excess water and mash the lentils lightly with the back of a ladle.
Heat the ghee or oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds, wait till they crackle. Add the asafoetida powder and tomato puree and cook on medium heat. Add the dal to the puree, letting the mixture boil. Add red chili powder, butter and cream. Simmer on low heat for an hour.
Add the garam masala and serve hot with rice or rotis.