10-12 baby eggplants
Ghee or oil of choice
Pinch of asafoetida
1.5” cinnamon stick
4 green cardamom
3 medium tomatoes
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp dried ginger powder
1 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp tamarind paste or 1 tsp dry mango powder
1 cup water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp chopped coriander and thin strips of fresh ginger for garnish
1. Fry chopped onions in oil of choice until light brown. Blend onions in a food processor to make a thick paste, adding a little water, if needed.
2. Slit eggplants lengthwise, without removing the stem, and fry them in a pan for 3-4 minutes. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom. Add tomatoes and fry on medium heat till soft.
4. Add the onion paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add coriander, chilli, turmeric, fennel, and ginger powders and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add water, bring to a boil and add the tamarind paste or dry mango powder.
6. Simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
7. Add eggplants and continue to simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
8. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and ginger and serve hot with rice or roti.