It makes me so happy that my family, and everyone else that has tried them, absolutely love these cookies. My reason for joy is that they are totally guilt free, without any refined flours or sugar (I use organic stone ground spelt flour). And they are vegan as well as the added anti-inflammatory benefits of ginger! I always double the recipe because they disappear so fast!!
1 1/2 tsp ground flaxseed 2 Tb water
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (not melted)
1/4 cup coconut sugar or dark cane sugar
1 Tb maple syrup
3 Tb almond milk (or any other milk)
2 Tb blackstrap molasses
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 1/4 cups spelt flour
1 Tb cocoa powder
1 heaping teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp fine sea salt (I use pink Himalayan salt)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl or cup, stir together ground flax and water. Let sit for a few minutes to thicken.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup with an electric mixer. Add molasses, vanilla, almond milk and flaxseed mixture (or egg) and mix until smooth.
4. In a smaller mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Stir to mix.
5. Add dry ingredients to the large bowl, mixing it in gently with a spoon first, then beating until just combined. Don’t over mix.
6. Put a couple of tablespoons of the brown crystal sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape the dough into approx. 1 inch balls (about 1 tablespoon). Roll it in the sugar. Place on cookie sheet and flatten it a bit with your fingers.
7. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. They will be soft when you take them out of the oven, but will get firmer once cooled for 10-15 minutes. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or in fridge if they don’t disappear.