Bowls are a terrific way to enjoy a meal which is not only appealing to the senses but is also nutrient rich because of the variety of fresh ingredients that can be added. This vegan protein rich bowl is a modified version of a recipe from the Oh She Glows cookbook. It is one of my favourite vegan cookbooks. I altered the recipe to make it gluten free by replacing the wheat berries with quinoa and chick peas. I also roasted the garlic, onion and vegetables in the oven. You can choose to use them raw or cook them in the skillet. However, I do recommend wilting the spinach and kale in the skillet for better texture and blending of flavours.
Even if you are not a vegetarian, this meal is a great alternative for meatless Mondays!
1 cup dry whole lentils (brown or French)
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 cup canned chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 small or 1/2 large onion
1 red bell pepper or zucchini, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped or 1 cup cherry tomatoes
3 cups spinach/kale, roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
1 avocado, cubed
Lemon Tahini Dressing
3 Tb tahini, 2-3 cloves oven roasted garlic or 1 clove raw, juice of 1 large lemon, 1 Tb maple syrup, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 3 Tb extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 tsp sea salt, ground black pepper
1. For the dressing, place all ingredients in food processor and mix until smooth or mix with hand held blender. Set aside.
2. Place garlic in foil and roast in preheated at 350F for 10 minutes. Remove garlic and increase oven temp to 400F. Place onion chunks, peppers/zucchini on a baking sheet – roast for about 15 minutes. Then broil for 1 minute. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, cook lentils in 3 cups boiling water with 1/2 tsp salt for about 20 minutes until cooked. Drain excess water and set aside.
4. In a separate small pot, cook quinoa with 1 cup boiling water. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for 15-18 minutes until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
5. Heat large skillet or wok on medium heat; add a drizzle of olive oil. Add tomatoes and roasted veggies. Saute for 5-6 minutes. Stir in greens until they wilt. Turn off heat. Stir in cooked lentils, quinoa, chick peas and all of the dressing. Gently stir in chopped avocado and fresh parsley. Serve warm.
Credits – globalvegetarian.ca